The Packers starters are trying to get into a rhythm and those just trying to make this Green Bay squad, and/or any other team out there, this is their last real chance to put something on film for GMs to watch. The Packers offense will finally be all together with Jennings and Finley back on the field. The defensive side of the football is trying to prove to everyone that they’re better than their “worst in the NFL” ranking from last season and that Ted Thompson has done enough to bolster this fundamentally UN-sound unti from a season ago.
I’d like to say that I have 5 top things to watch for tonight but I’m afraid that the list is a little longer, so here we go;
1. Cedric Benson; can he supply the Packers with the ground game that this team has so woefully lacked since 2008.
2. Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley; they’ve had an injury plagued camp thus far and need to get back up to rhythmic speed in a hurry.
3. Jerel Worthy and Nick Perry; show me something more than a bull-rush. It’s time to start working on new moves guys. The NFL is the best of the best and trying to go straight up the field every time isn’t going to cut it. Even though their rookies, the Packers defensive guru, Dom Capers, is relying on both of these men to perform well above rookie levels if this defense is going to create any type of quarterback pressure throughout this 2012 season.
4. Casey Hayward; He’s got all the talent in the world and will undoubtedly make this team but I’d love to see Hayward’s metal game begin to come around so he can unleash his physical talent. In my opinion, this guy will be a cornerstone in the Packers secondary for a long time to come barring injury, I can’t wait for him to “get it”.
5. Marshall Newhouse; Growth! That’s it. Give me something more to grasp on to confidence-wise. Fans don’t want to bite their nails every time Aaron Rodgers drops back to pass that his left side is vulnerable.
A few other notes; Jarret Bush…..show me why I should have ANY confidence in you, AJ Hawk…..Tackle!, Graham Harrell…..in the terrible circumstance that Rodgers goes down, at least look like you can throw a pass that might hit the target and not get your receivers killed. Otherwise, veteran cuts are this week and I will demand you be jettisoned, BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett…..give it to me big boys. Pressure! I could go on and on but you get the idea. I’m grasping for anything to make me believe that this defense will be better in 2012.